Re: CACC Solo Re: Canadian Car classes?,

To: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@istar.ca>
Subject: Re: CACC Solo Re: Canadian Car classes?,
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 12:23:49 -0400

Reijo Silvennoinen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This is an interesting idea for sure - why not "Topeka North"?  Any of the
> Prairie provinces would be an ideal (as much as that is possible) location
> to hold a yearly national event due to the more or less "central" location
> and generally dry summer weather that can be expected.

Hi Reijo

I think the problem would be that for most people in Canada it's just as far to
go to Topeka and you know there would be lots of national level competition. I
think we're a long ways from having a Canadian Championship at this point. We
could call it that but not many people would show up.

> There are some rule differences between the regions but I'm sure something
> can be worked out....perhaps in line with our neighbours to the south?
> Having competed in Vancouver last year and the Calgary area previously and
> presently with the Calgary Sports Car Club I found no change wrt to my car
> classing.  However, there are some differences - for instance in stock
> classes here we do not allow R-compound tires unlike in CACC.  Our rules
> etc. can be found at:  http://www.wcma.ca/

In CASC-OR we allow a 2% time bonus for using street tires. This is still a
conservative number with the very best street tires coming close to making up
the difference. We didn't want it to be a contest of who has the most expensive
tires, it's more to let the occasional driver or newbie be fairly competitive
with street tires.

> Furthermore, we (CSCC) have also recently secured the use of a very large
> lot in Red Deer (1.5 hrs. north of us)...approx. 1100' x 500' in size.
> Furthermore, we have measured out the lot and created a Cad dwg of the lot
> for future course design purposes including all obstructions and barriers
> located therein.  On July 10/11 we ran a two day Western Canada Motorsport
> Association (WCMA) event there including entries from Edmonton, Saskatoon,
> Calgary, and one from CACC/Vancouver (Chris with a silver/grey
> Mustang...sorry, I forget your last name).  The event was also televised
> on the local RDTV network and, hence, seen on TV over most of the
> province.

Autox on TV in Canada? I guess in some ways we are ahead of our Southern
neighbours.;-)

> How about it?  Anyone else wish to discuss the possibilities further?  I'm
> willing to volunteer and  put in time on a National Solo II Event and make
> it happen.  In any case, I am on the CACC mailing list and will get on the
> Ontario list.  The CSCC doesn't have a list at this time but the local
> Canadian Rocky Mtn. chapter of the Miata Club of American has a list
> here:  miata-local@cal.trlabs.ca

I've just started a new e-mail list for Canucks to discuss such things. Dunno
if it will do any good but why not. At least we can discuss snow tires and
ski-doo slaloms on it.

Info on joining can be found here: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/solocanada

Burl Vibert
Kingston, Ontario