Re: Sponsoring myself

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sponsoring myself
From: Michael King <mapco@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:59:45 +0000
I agree with Randy. One thing that separates autocrossing from being a
hobby and a possible profitable business has alot to do with mileage
that you drive over the course of a year autocrossing. Once you reach
10K miles, the IRS no longer looks at it as being a hobby. One other
thing is gather up all of the contingency possibilities that pertain to
your class and car, and add the best case scenario of winnings up. Of
course, my driving a Neon with BFG tires, that was easy. Hey, I could
win $30,000 if I went to every divisional, national, Pro Solo, and
Nationals this year. So, if that's not a profit motive, there isn't one.
Form that business plan and run with it, I say. Plus having a business
that you can advertise on the side of the car is a big advantage as
well. Good luck!

Mike King
97 Neon ACR (makes a good delivery car)
98 Eclipse GSX (makes a much faster delivery car)