Re: GEEZ course map & accuracy

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: GEEZ course map & accuracy
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 22:11:26 -0700
Craig's post here is excellent, and right on the money!

Map errors are not caused by speed, though good speed readings will help
eliminate a class of map errors.  We start out tutorials on map
adjustments with this fact.  Getting the end speed of the run right will
in the vast majority of cases give you a credible map.  Not perfect, but
useful.

And that's the point.  We aren't trying to map a scale drawing of every
inch of your drive.  What we are trying to do is to help you relate what
the software is telling you to what you can do behind the wheel.  It's
hard to wrap your brain around what you see in strip charts.  Maps make
it easier to learn.  Color coding maps, and we have dozens of ways to do
that, provide even more tools.  Some of them will "click" for you, and
some of them won't.

In another post Dennis talks about how he determined he could go 1.5
seconds faster in one section by sketching out a map on paper that he
believed represented that part of the course, and which the lateral and
longitudinal traces backed up.  We think the software should do that for
you.

The idea isn't to draw a perfect map with no assistance required.  That
would be great, mind you, and I've love to have a product that would do
that.  I know of a system built by real serious folks that used three
accelerometers and three yaw rate sensors which was accurate to this
level.  (About 1 meter after 5 miles of travel I'm told.)  That's really
cool stuff!  But it's not gonna happen from a two pole accelerometer.
It's not even gonna happen with three poles, and a single yaw rate
sensor.  It'll take the whole enchilada.  At current, that would require
a system retailing in the area of about $3000 bare bones minimum...and
the software is pretty darned exciting, too!

The errors in maps come primarily from slip angle.  Picture this.  You
are driving your car (it's probably a CP car for reasons you'll see in a
minute) in a straight line.  You are not speeding up, not turning, and
you travel this way for 10 seconds, when suddenly, for no reason at all,
the car rotates 90 degrees.  The car slides to a stop traveling
perfectly sideways.  It takes 3 seconds to come to a rest.  The
accelerometers faithfully record, for arguments sake, 10 seconds of no
lateral and no longitudinal g's, followed by 3 seconds of 1 g left turn
accleration.  The map shows 10 seconds of straight travel, followed by a
nice 1 g' left hand turn.  Depending on the speed we started this could
be a 90 degree left, or it could be more or less.  But the speed isn't
changed, and at the end of the slide, when the car is actually stopped,
the software still shows you motoring merrily along at the original
speed.

Now that illustrates a rather extreme example, but the fact is that all
turns include a certain amount of slip angle.  And the cumulative errors
from slip angle have to be adjusted if you want perfection.  But for
most cases, we don't need perfection.  We just need a map that's good
enough to allow us to wrap our brains around the course and figure out
how to improve.

We believe GEEZ does that better than simple strip charts.  For
instance, going back to Dennis' strip charts and his hand drawn map.
Dennis concluded that he could have shaved 1.5 seconds through better
braking entering a single turn, but he misses a simple point.  And that
has caused him to mis-read how to execute that turn better.  GEEZ would
have provided a better way to see that point, and he would have had a
better chance of not missng it.

The point?  The car won't turn and brake at the same time at peak g's.
Either Dennis is about to draw a classic "cross" friction circle, (as I
described in NAP a couple of issues ago), or he is going to find his
plan very hard to execute.  GEEZ would have given him a much better way
to view the car's performance envelope, and a better chance it actually
executing a plan that would result in faster times.

And that's the point, isn't it?

--Byron