Re: GEEZ course map & accuracy

To: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Subject: Re: GEEZ course map & accuracy
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 10:46:20 -0400
Byron Short wrote:
> I know of a system built by real serious folks that used three
> accelerometers and three yaw rate sensors which was accurate to this
> level.  (About 1 meter after 5 miles of travel I'm told.)  That's
> really cool stuff!  But it's not gonna happen from a two pole
> accelerometer. It's not even gonna happen with three poles, and a
> single yaw rate sensor.  It'll take the whole enchilada.

One really clever way of doing this that I've seen is to have a very
high res, high speed camera pointed straight down at the ground.  By
analyzing the movement of the ground relative to the car, one can
determine the exact path travelled.  Hardware's not tough, but the
software would be.

I forget where I first saw this technique.  In some car or racing
magazine, I'm sure...

Mark