Re: VHS vs. Beta

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VHS vs. Beta
From: "Mike Quinn" <mquinn@hartinc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:32:15 -0400
You're right, VHS won the marketing war.  That's a shame, no doubt Beta was
better.  As for nationals, I'm guessing by seeing it, that it was shot on
S-VHS or Hi8, with a single chip camera.  More important than shooing it on
Betacam or Digital Betacam (fyi, Digital Betacam Cameras range in price from
$60k to $100k or more) it needs to be shot with three-chip cameras.  I
recently had my first experience with a 3-chip DV camcorder and was pretty
impressed and they run around $2k a piece.  I don't know where to start on
how nationals was edited last year.   Gosh, I'm actually an authority on
something on this list ;-)

Mike Quinn
NWOR-SCCA
Producer/Director, Hart Associates Teleproductions
74GS Integra & Sony DVW700