Re: VHS vs. Beta

To: "Mike Quinn" <mquinn@hartinc.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VHS vs. Beta
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:06:23 -0400
Those were shot with S-VHS. They edited on the fly (live). They did
not use any bars to reference between tapes/shots. It was sort of a
last minute deal. The gentleman who holds the video rights to
Nationals was trying to recoup what he could for his outlay. I don't
know if he achieved that. The pix were so-so. It was too bad they
didn't at least shoot the raw footage on Betacam.

FWIW, a Digital Beta deck with record and playback goes for 60k. I
suspect a camera is WAY up there. Speedvision has two D-Betas for the
primary tapes (S-VHS in tandem for back-up) and six D-Betas in the
Odetics crate for the spots (spots is money). The Odetics is like a
giant juke box that has a robotic handler to move the spots in and out
of the D-Betas (or whatever format a station/network wants to run).

Matt Murray

mailto:mattm@optonline.net
mailto:mdmurray@gwns.com