Corner weights (was Re: adj. swaybar endlinks)

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Corner weights (was Re: adj. swaybar endlinks)
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:10:16 -0700
TeamZ3@aol.com wrote:

>However, unlike with corner
> weighting you have no effective way to raise or lower one end of the car
> equally with adj swaybar endlinks to address front/rear balance.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, there's a mistake here: a
car's total F/R and L/R weight distribution cannot be changed by any
suspension adjustment. That's a function only of the CG location
relative to the wheels.

> Now if the case of both corners on the same side of the car having higher
> weights than the other side, you're *potentially* SOL in the Stock class...

Well, you're SOL in that case even if you've got fully adjustable
coilovers. My car is approximately 54/46 L/R with driver, and no amount
of adjustment will ever change that. I can, however, make certain that
the weight on each wheel correctly reflects the CG location. The target
is the same L/R distribution at the front and rear as the total L/R. Or,
equivalently, the same F/R distribution on each side of the car as the
total F/R. That's the best you can do. The total weight on any two
adjacent wheels won't change.

>  In this situation if you try to balance the front corners using the adj
> front endlinks you'll also create more bias to heavier side of the rear
> corner in the process.

Any time you reduce the weight at one corner via adjustment, you also
reduce the weight at the diagonally opposite corner. This has the effect
of increasing the weight on the two remaining corners. It doesn't matter
if you perform the adjustment with swaybar end links or spring perches,
the effect on corner weights is the same.

Jay