Re: Interesting article on Insurance and Drivers schools

To: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: Interesting article on Insurance and Drivers schools
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:40:19 -0700
>If you're counting on your insurance company to cover damage your
>car might suffer at racing speeds on a race track, I'd say you're
>already in line to have your fun ruined. This sort of
>expectation - that damage suffered in high-speed events should be
>covered by normal collision coverage - only serves to make
>insurance adjusters more suspicious and all of our premiums
>higher.
>
>It never ceases to amaze me that people will take their street
>driver to an event like this, wad it up into a ball, and expect
>people to pity them when the insurer won't pony up.
>
>Jay "you break it, you buy it, and I'll do likewise" Mitchell
>
>I agree completely. I would NEVER think of turning in an insurance claim
for something that happened on the track. Any kind of track. If you
have specifically been told you are covered, more power to you, but
most of us specifically are NOT. Another company might reluctantly pay a
claim, but would probably cancel you for being high risk and less than honest
about your driving habits. I would feel guilty knowing I contributed
to the high cost of ins by manipulating the system.