Electrical vs. Mechanical Gauges

To: "Honda-Nonperf@Kens. Com" <honda-nonperf@kens.com>,
Subject: Electrical vs. Mechanical Gauges
From: "Jerome Soh" <jerome@fortunebuilders.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:00:55 -0700
1. My understanding is that electrical gauges are easier to install since
the actual measuring unit is right on the component at which you are taking
a reading and all you need to do is run wires to it from the gauge display.
Mechanical gauges, on the other hand, are supposed to be slightly more
difficult to install (doesn't look that much more difficult to me) but are
supposedly more accurate.

Is this a correct assessment? Comments welcome.

2. I already have water temperature and oil pressure gauges. How useful are
oil temperature, transmission temperature, and voltmeter gauges? Which ones
would you guys recommend for race car use (or street car use) and why?
Transmission temp. just measures the temp. of the tranny oil right? Doesn't
seem to useful to me...

3. I have a 95 Integra B18B non-VTEC engine. Would the 0-100 psi or the
0-200 psi oil pressure gauge be more suitable? Also, would the 140-280 F
water temp or the 120-240 F water temp gauge be more suitable? The
thermostat in my car starts opening at 169F and is fully open at 194F. Does
that mean that if everything is functioning properly, the temperature should
not exceed about 194F or so? In that case, I should probably get the
120-240F gauge for better resolution and lower end reading... is that a
correct assessment?

4. I plan on installing an adjustable FPR. Is it important to have a fuel
pressure guage to get absolute readings, or is adjusting up and down until
the optimum pressure is reached all that really matters, with no regard to
the actual pressure reading? Would it be better to just get an auxiliary
fuel pressure gauge to use for tuning instead of a permanent one?

5. I noticed autometer has a vacuum gauge. Where in the car would this be
useful? The only place I can think of is to measure intake manifold vacuum.
What information can the intake manifold vacuum give me when tuning my
engine for peak performance? I noticed in my service manual that measuring
the vacuum is required for checking to see if certain components are
functioning properly... is it better to just get an auxiliary vacuum gauge
instead of a permanent one?

Regards,

Jerome

FREE Honda Classifieds!