Re: Semi-Trailing Arm Next Ralph Nader No No???

To: pfoster@gdi.net
Subject: Re: Semi-Trailing Arm Next Ralph Nader No No???
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 05:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>

>I'm not sure if you can blame semi-trailing arm
>suspension. The early 911 (til 993??), 914, 924, 928,
>944, and 968 all had the same suspension
>design without many tipovers...

I misstated the case then...it isn't the semi-trailing
arm layout in general so much as the specific
implementation on the E30 (presumably high CG, soft
springs/shocks, hard bump stops...anyone know
specifics?)  Those with long memories will recall that
Mercedes won lots of races with a 300SL that had swing
axles stuck underneath the back end; yet the versions
seen on Corvairs, early Bugs, and Tatras (anyone
remember them?) were much more dangerous.

Craig B.