Re: Showroom Stock and Solo2

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Showroom Stock and Solo2
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:36:31 -0400
Josh Hadler wrote:
>Where can SSB or SSC cars compete in autocross
>nowadays? Not stock, they've got to go either to SP or ST. And that just
>plain sucks. We all knew that an SSB Miata would not be the best car for
>B-Stock, but How about an SSB Integra with a Type R suspension? Or >that
>Ford Escort with GOBS of goodies thrown into it. It ain't stock anymore...

I have been looking into this lately.  Having both an ITS class road race
car and an A-stock autox car was taking up too much of my time and energy
and money, so I'm going to try using the same car for both.  The best choice
seems to be the Miata.  It is currently the dominant car in both SSB and
Solo2 B-stock.  It doesn't have a trunk kit, so it can run in B-stock.  It
will be at somewhat of a disadvantage for Solo2 since it will have the stock
shocks and swaybar, but the Miata seems to work pretty well with the stock
stuff.  Another disadvantage for Solo2 is the extra weight of the cage and
hardtop, but the racing seat and removal of airbags and convertible top
should help offset the extra weight, plus the cage will give some extra
chassis stiffness.  The '99 Sport is a bit better as far as competitiveness
and I've heard that it autoxes very well with the stock shocks and swaybar,
but you can find '96 'R's for about half the price and they can still be
competitive.  I don't think I want to risk road racing the more expensive
'99.

However, who knows how long the Miatas will dominate SSB?  The Integra GS-R
has a 170hp VTEC motor so it can walk away from the Miata on the straights
and it has a good trunk kit which should allow to hang with the Miata in the
turns.  But the Miata still seems to be winning all the races.  And some
think the Maxima might be the next hot SSB car.

The really hot SS car is the SSC Civic Si.  A 160hp car in SSC plus a trunk
kit is a killer combo, and it will probably stay that way for years.  The
downside is that the trunk kit means it has to run in Solo2 CSP.  (Plus, I
don't think I want to race a FWD car.)

Brad Burns