Corner weighting 1992 Eclipse AWD

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Corner weighting 1992 Eclipse AWD
From: "Ian J. McFetridge" <gator@eclipse.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:47:44 -0400
I've just returned from corner weighting my 1992 GSX at CSE in Oreland, PA.
Seeing that CSE just got the equipment, we're really not sure what my few
hours of effort accomplished.  Here are the numbers:  215lb in driver seat,
1/2 tank gas, no spare, front sway bar disconnected (reconnecting the sway
bar made no change to the corner weights).

Left Front 1044 lbs, 13 4/16" from fender to wheel center.
Right Front 959 lbs, 13 5/16"

Left Rear 717 lbs, 13 2/16"
Right Rear 630 lbs, 13 5/16"

"/" (right front + left rear) cross weight = 1676 lbs.
"\" (left front + right rear) cross weight = 1674 lbs.

Left = 1761/(1761+1589) = 52.6%

I've been told that I want my car to have equal cross weights, so that is
what I shot for...adjusting the collar on the threaded shock bodies (preset)
up and down until I had what you see above.  Out of curiosity I played with
the presets shooting for "left = 50%," i.e., even side-to-side weight
distribution measuring 50% x 3350 lbs. = 1675 lbs. of my car's weight on the
left wheels.  Before I got to 50% I could see that my cross-weights were
quickly diverging:  232 lbs. difference in cross-weights and climbing!

I'm told that having equal cross-weights is supposed to make the car turn
just as well to the left and to the right.  Does this sound right?  I assume
I would rather have 52.6% on the left and equal cross-weights rather than
50% on the left and 232+ lbs. difference in cross-weights.

I'm really not sure what else I can do with the cross-weights.  Any
suggestions?

Ian McFetridge
92 GSX, Philly Region ESP #69