Re: Neon Puking Power Steering

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Neon Puking Power Steering
From: JTHOR11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:44:07 EDT
Uh... they do that.  Seems that the SOHC cars are worse than DOHC ones.  Just
one of the penalties for being so darn quick and cute (right back at 'cha
Loren).  We have 95 SOHC Sport sedan (10/94 build) that has done this
basically since day one... though it seems to have gotten worse lately.  The
other Neons I have compared the problem to have been DOHC's and don't seem to
have quite the leakage we expirience.  There IS a differance between the
reservours on DOHC and SOHC motors.  DOHC are narrower but deeper and the
SOHC is wider but shallower.  I don't think they are interchangeable as they
look like they bolt to the head which are different.  Of course... this would
be illegal for Stock classs  :-(

We have switched to Valvoline Synthetic fluid and seen a small improvement...
but nothing to write home about. It does let us run the level a little lower
without the pump howling as quickly.  Though we have been known to add a
little fluid between runs.  We are putting on a fresh cap tomorrow and will
see how that works for the next couple events.  When we run we now wrap a
cloth around the reservours to catch the fluid.  Seems to do OK but it is a
pain.  Ahhh the price of speed..... like I would know if you have seem my
recent results.

Whoomah!!

Jan & Candy Gerber
Omaha, NE