RE: non-stock M3 LTW...? (long)

To: "Howard, Brent" <Brent.Howard@Searbrown.com>
Subject: RE: non-stock M3 LTW...? (long)
From: Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:11:07 -0400 (EDT)
> >"normal" M3. I've been wondering that myself. Compare that to what
> differentiates a Neon ACR from a Neon Highline or a base model. Relatively
> >speaking, the basic grocery getter Neon gets an even more extensive
> makeover
> >to turn it into the class dominating performer it is than the M3
>
> You're comparing an ES highline against a DS ACR, and while you have a point
> in that comparison, it would be more appropriate to compare it to an R/T or
> an early model Sport; the comparison you make is like comparing the M3 to a
> 318 (I think, I have no idea how the BMW lineup works :-(  )  Off the top of
> my head, here are the relevant differences between a highline model and an
> ACR:

Yes I forgot compare within the class..almost all the DS cars are the same
only those who opted for the DOHC OPTIONAL engine get put into DS instead
of ES and dont have the rear swaybar..

> *four-wheel disc brakes without ABS - Also available on '95 Sports and
> R/T's.  To my knowledge makes little performance difference, and weighs MORE
> than the rear drum setup.

true true

> *front (22mm) and rear (16mm) Sway bars* - Slightly larger than what came on
> early Sport models, not sure what is on the R/T currently.  one or the other
> an be changed in solo 2, so no big deal... Hot setup is smaller bar anyway,
> isn't it?

sports got the 22mm front also only neons with no rear swaybar get the
20mm front

> *unlimited speed control (130mph limit on ?'97+? models)* - Regular neons
> limited to 118, R/T's 130.  Not an issue on S2.
>
> *power assisted 16:1 ratio steering*  I don't know about this one - can
> someone tell me what the R/T's have?

Sports got this also..as well as R/T's

> *alloy wheels standard* - same for Sports and R/T's
>
> *performance geared 5-speed manual transmission* - Same as the R/T

and sports

> *heavier front hubs* - Durability issue for road racing, no performance
> advantage in S2
>
> *front camber adjustment* - Same thing can be acheived with legal crash
> bolts on any neon
>
> *1997+ ACR models also include Koni adjustable struts* - Free in S2,
> although the earliest ACRs had non-adjustable struts standard
>
> *higher rate springs* - Same as the early Sport Coupe and R/T
>
> I'm by no means a neon expert, so some of this may be wrong, but aside from
> the steering issue, I see nothing that would bump it out of stock class
> compared to any other neon.  Into another class from the Highline, yes, but
> that's already been handled by the DS/ES Split.  Similar many other "GT"
> models, the sportier car goes to a different class, but it's still stock...
>
> Just my .02
>
> Brent
> '95 Neon Sport Sedan (ES)
>
> No dog in this fight, as I'm nowhere close to being nationally competitive,
> but I love the segment of the market the Neon filled, and hope that Chrysler
> continues to build cheap pocket rockets like the Neon. ;-)

          Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net> <pagejason@carol.net>
           Carolina Online Technical Support Assistant Manager
            Carolina Online Home Page   http://www.carol.net
              Carolina Online Inc.      (864)375-0600 x301
                   "A Full Service Internet Provider"