Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:42:36 -0500
Randy Chase wrote:

> Mark Shaw wrote:
>
> > What is interesting about the term "competition" is that it is defined as
> > involving somebody else.  If nobody shows up you are simply not competing.
>
> I disagree. You can be in competition for year ending points, in which
> case it doesn't require that you be at any event to be in competition.
> You can be in competition with your own times and personal best...

I would also suggest that a competition is the *event* that is being
staged.  This event is open to ALL.  Meaning no one could show up, or a
National Champion could show up.  Either way, it is the event that is
the competition and whoever shows up and does the best, wins.  To
discourage someone from competing by constantly bumping them does not
make a lot of sense from a member retention point of view.  What's the
skin off your nose if someone gets a year end trophy because he showed
up all year?  Does rewarding folks and giving out positive reinforcement
somehow detract from your experience?  ("yours" figuratively
speaking...not "yours" meaning Randy or Mark)  Hell, I didn't even win
my local points series in Milwaukee last year.  A guy I soundly beat
every time won the class because I didn't show up for one event.  He met
the requirements, he wins...it's real simple.

Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese
95 DS Neon
Moooooooooo.