Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Subject: Re: non-stock M3 LTW...?
From: Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:05:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Justin Hughes wrote:

> > Are you sure you aren't some automated software package designed to
> > irritate me?
>
> No, I'm a real live human being whose sole purpose in life is to irritate
> you. :)
>
> > Lesse.  In the early years the differences between the ACR and the regular
> > DOHC neon were:
> > struts (slotted for camber and different valving),
> > slightly thicker hubs (no performance advantage),
> > non-speed limited computer (removed the 116mph speed limit),
> > different roll bars, stiffer springs,
> > different final drive (3.94 from 3.52 I think?)
> >
> > In the later years it was just the struts and hubs, except the struts were
> > now rebound adjustable as well.
>
> Cool - so now we have "shopping lists" for both the souped up Neon and M3.
>
> > So you could pretty much convert any neon to the "full on racecar" specs
> > in an afternoon.  And, of course, anyone that wanted one could
> > order it.
> > Compare that the the M3 Lightweight that dropped the ride height, had AL
> > body skins, had aero aids added, had a _hand picked_ motor, came with
> > parts that if installed voided the factory warranty, etc.  Oh, and had
> > less than 200 made.
>
> Oh, you wouldn't call a Neon's spoiler an aero aid? :)  I know, not
> adjustable, and non-ACRs come with them.  Plus, despite the experiences
> reported by some people in the midwest, the ACR is far more easily
> available - never mind affordable.

ACR's dont get a spoiler its not an option. Any ACR's with a spoiler were
dealer installed and hence illegal weight added to the rear end.. and if
youve ever seen a neons spoiler and tell me it helps in any way other than
making the remote trunk  release not work worth a sh%t then lemme
introduce you to a book on aerodynamics..

> > How you could compare the two boggles the mind.
>
> I'm not so much comparing the two (hmmm, M3 vs. Neon, who's going to win...)
> as I am wondering where one draws the line with these factory
> prepped-for-racing cars.  The M3 Lightweight, with its rather extensive
> mods, shouldn't be in stock, nor is it.  The Neon ACR's tweaks are
> significant, but not nearly as extensive.  Yet it's pretty much the
> dominiant car in its class.  How much better is the ACR than its non-ACR
> siblings?

None..You could contend with a Non ACR or even a Non R/T neon and can win
if you find one in the right trim.. a 95 base with no swaybars and no ps
isnt the one I'd choose but any 95-96 Sport Coupe would do it along with
some others who got the 22mm front and 16mm rear swaybar..the rest is
allowed in stock (struts)

Jason

>     - Justin

          Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net> <pagejason@carol.net>
           Carolina Online Technical Support Assistant Manager
            Carolina Online Home Page   http://www.carol.net
              Carolina Online Inc.      (864)375-0600 x301
                   "A Full Service Internet Provider"