Re: Trophies and Number of Classes - Are they related?

To: Gemery@aol.com
Subject: Re: Trophies and Number of Classes - Are they related?
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:15:10 -0700
Gemery@aol.com wrote:

> Perhaps, rather than carping about single-car classes, you should
> be recruiting more entrants for your region?

We average between 120 to 140 entrants, but with 39 different classes to
enter, it doesn't take a math whiz to see what the real problem is.  The
statistical average per class would be..........quick now   :-)

And next year we will probably add Street Touring, three more. Hmmm.

The real issue is to seek a way to provide competition for all, not
taking trophies from the 'singles'. That was what I originally intended
to bring up but did not explain clearly.  FWIW, most of our single car
guys here (and I have spoken to them) would PREFER someone to run
against. I suspect it the same most places.

> Oh, please!  I've not ever mentioned in this discussion what our
> region does or doesn't do regarding awards as it isn't germane to
> my own feelings on the subject.  Judging by the lack of support
> your arguments have received, you've got a very minority position.

Actually, no he doesn't. Ever hear of a militant minority? But again,
the real issue is too many classes for the number of cars. We have done
it to ourselves.

At this time, thanks to our Street Tire and Novice and Pax classes, the
Open SCCA classes actually have the smallest participation!  Perhaps we
should just cut those out?  ;-)

> >But those regions chose their poison to start with....
>
> You know, this is the third or fourth time you've written words to
> this effect and they demonstrate a definite lack of regard for
> conclusions that differ from yours.  It's no wonder the SEB letters
> you have on file say what you claim!

Gee - so he isn't allowed to state his views because they differ from
others Or yours)? Should he quietly sit by until it is deemed safe to
speak out, or just recognize the error of his ways and quietly go away?

Mark does not take the popular or easy route, is an independent thinker,
and our region is far better off thanks to what he has done in the past
and continues to do now. BTW, the SEB has some old baggage of their own
and has not always (in retrospect) been right  :-)

Every time I enter into a discussion like this, rather than just expound
(type), I also "listen" (or is that read?) and learn from the other
views. Doesn't always change my mind, but I never know less afterward.
Sometimes I just learn to express myself more accurately  :-)  !!

Scott Meyers