Re: Trophies and Number of Classes - Are they related?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trophies and Number of Classes - Are they related?
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:49:59 -0400
Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net> wrote:

> Gemery@aol.com wrote:

>> Perhaps, rather than carping about single-car classes, you should
>> be recruiting more entrants for your region?

> We average between 120 to 140 entrants, but with 39 different classes
> to enter, it doesn't take a math whiz to see what the real problem is.  > The
statistical average per class would be..........quick now   :-)

> And next year we will probably add Street Touring, three more. Hmmm.

But if those 3 more classes add members who would not otherwise have been there,
then it's a win - especially if they congregate in those new classes.

The distribution of members/classes is not even. Just because you have a
statistical average of 3.5 cars per class now, it doesn't imply that all the
classes have 3.5 cars in them, nor that adding 3 more classes will reduce the
number of cars per class to 3.33.

Here in Detroit Region, we have a big ESP class, and a big GS class, and a big
BS class. The other classes are more evenly spread (although I can't remember
ever seeing an FM or a AM - we do have some CM guys though) The class
distribution in other regions varies too.

So if you attract as few as 10 new members, and they all have STU cars, well,
you've just created a healthy new class for your region - and healthy classes
attract competitors.

The number of classes isn't the real issue here; the issue is recruiting new
members and then retaining them once recruited.

DG