Re: Need Advice from Integra GS-R owners

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need Advice from Integra GS-R owners
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:01:50 -0400
"Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>

> My main question is, what is a good starting
> point for the best launch RPM?  I don't want to drop the clutch at 3500 > RPM
and be in bog city, or drop the clutch at 8K RPM and waste his
> tires.

I don't own an Integra, but I have done some drag racing.

My advice is to let him experiment. Launching an FWD isn't something that's
formulaic; every launch is a little bit different, and the driver needs to be
able to learn to look for the signs of bogging or excess wheelspin and adjust
accordingly.

Where he will need help though is adjusting to the tree. All those bright blinky
lights can be pretty intimidating the first time out. Talk him through the
pre-stage/stage/launch sequence a few times, and get him to launch on the last
yellow.

Say, has Howard and Co. put the &%#&*# pre-stage light back on the ProSolo tree
yet?

I wouldn't worry about hurting his tires. Drag strips have huge amounts of
rubber laid down at the start line, and the rubber on the track is way softer
than his street rubber - and besides, wheelspin is an FWD drag racing fact of
life.

> Maybe I can get him to AX his GS-R in ST after all
> his mods.

Or in STU when he adds camshafts, or adjustable cam pulleys, or a turbo. :)

DG