Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:39:59 -0700
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net> wrote:
>
> > We average between 120 to 140 entrants, but with 39 different classes
> > to enter, it doesn't take a math whiz to see what the real problem is.  >
>The
> >statistical average per class would be..........quick now   :-) And next
>year we
> will probably add Street >Touring, three more. Hmmm.

> But if those 3 more classes add members who would not otherwise have been
>there,
> then it's a win - especially if they congregate in those new classes.

It behooves any event organizer to establish a balance of cars and classes. It
is
our responsibility to provide an opportunity for invigorating competition. Most
competitors that I have spoken to relish a good battle within a class of cars.

So if we, in the spirit of trying to provide more opportunity actually in fact
create a situation where there is less opportunity, I suggest that the situation
needs to be rethought.

In my opinion, it is not a win if we add three new participants into
non-competitive situations, BECAUSE in most cases they will soon grow bored and
not
return. On the other hand, if we can look at all that we do offer, reduce the
number of classes and increase the true number of cars in each class (thereby
reducing also the number of single car classes), this is a win-win.

> The distribution of members/classes is not even. Just because you have a
> statistical average of 3.5 cars per class now, it doesn't imply that all the
> classes have 3.5 ............

Uh, yeah........that was my point. Too many classes and too few cars is not an
ideal situation. Also, not everyone can have their own class  :-)

> Here in Detroit Region, we have a big ESP class, and a big GS class, and a big
> BS class. The other classes are more evenly spread ..........

Our Novice class runs 25 to 30 cars. Street Tire runs about the same, So we have
broken those two classes into six, and they are healthy and successful (ST 1,
ST 2,
ST/L, same for Novice). SS, BSP, Pax are also well attended, and all of those
large
classes do indeed pull from the statistical average.

> So if you attract as few as 10 new members, and they all have STU cars, well,
> you've just created a healthy new class for your region - and healthy classes
> attract competitors. The number of classes isn't the real issue here; the
>issue
> is recruiting new
> members and then retaining them once recruited.

Here we agree - BUT, it is also part of our responsibility to provide a fun,
challenging, competitive situation for as many drivers as we can. That is what
the
sport is about, right? Just throwing more classes out will not necessarily
improve
the situation.

I do not believe that we can ignore the potential for participation from the
Street
Touring crowd. We handle them now through friendly interpretation of either
Stock,
Street Prepared, or Street Tire rules. They are not sent away, but as their
skills
and interest progress they need an appropriate class to run in where they have a
chance to both win and not be protested by the rule book monks   :-)   NOTE: We
recognize that some folks do not actually NEED to win, but want to simply
improve
their car and driving skills. They still need a legal class to do so.

We are working on this, and will continue to do so. Once in a while everyone
steps
in a cow pie. One idea we are exploring is to develop a Street Tire factor so
that
those cars can run competitively with cars on "R" tires in the regular SCCA Open
classes. Or, the answer for us may be in restructuring somehow a blend of Street
Tire and Street Touring, since many are in fact the same people.

I guess no one ever said this would be easy, huh?

Regards,

Scott Meyers