Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire
From: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:14:03 -0400
> One idea we are exploring is to develop a Street Tire factor
>so that
>those cars can run competitively with cars on "R" tires in the regular SCCA
>Open
>classes. Or, the answer for us may be in restructuring somehow a blend of
>Street
>Tire and Street Touring, since many are in fact the same people.

Heres that old Street Tire thing again......

I never understood why there is a perceived "need" to create a special
class for those running on Street Tires---Especially when so many regions
run a "Novice" class.

I look at it this way:

--Most novices are just testing the waters and have not invested in R tires
yet.
--True, most of the Import Drag/Custom/Stereo/Street Touring guys are
running street rubber on gigantosaur rims (Many of which also violate the
7" width limit for ST) and they'd probably gag at the idea of another set
of wheels and tires for autocrossing.
--However, by the time a driver makes the decision to buy R tires and the
extra set of wheels to mount them, that driver is usually ready to graduate
from Novice Class anyway.
--In open class competition (with the exception of ST), all drivers are
allowed to run some sort of R tire.  If a driver chooses not to use
everything that the rules allow, WHY should he get his own special class or

Just my two cents....

Eric Moon
'92 Miata SOLO II  CSP
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com