Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire

To: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Subject: Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:50:54 -0400

**WARNING! WARNING! MYTH ALERT!**

> True, most of the Import Drag/Custom/Stereo/Street Touring guys are
> running street rubber on gigantosaur rims (Many of which also violate
> the 7" width limit for ST) and they'd probably gag at the idea of
> another set of wheels and tires for autocrossing.

Quite the opposite, at least as far as the "gag" part goes. The riceboy crowd do
indeed tend to own mondo-expensive wheels and tires for their rides, but they
DON'T want to run them for autoX - why chunk up a set of $300/tire Pilots, when
a Kumho V700 that fits their old stock wheels are not only way cheaper, but way
faster too?

The riceboys want to go as fast - hell, they want to go FASTER - as everyone
else, and R tires are part of that equation.

The number-one most common question I get from the people I'm trying to attract
to the "new" STU is "I won't have to run street tires, will I?"

There is a place for street tire classes - we have them in Detroit, and they're
very popular with the novices and the occasionals. But to assume that the STx
crowd won't want R tires is not only misguided, it borders on patronizing. (Not
picking on you Eric, I'm picking on the myth itself)

Hell Eric, you're practically the riceboy poster child. I remember having a long
conversation with you about tires when you showed up in that beautiful N/T
Eclipse show car at the 98 Harrisburg Pro - on street tires. You couldn't wait
to go out and get R tires.

In fact (please correct me if I'm wrong) you switched to a Miata this year
because you (quite rightly) felt that there was no way you could make the N/T
Eclipse competitive in CSP.

You know, I know someone who makes a great turbo conversion kit for that car;
it'd make a hell of an STU car....

DG