Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com, autox@autox.team.net, phax@eng.kns.com
Subject: Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire
From: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:30:36 -0400
At 12:50 PM 8/27/99 -0400, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

>Hell Eric, you're practically the riceboy poster child. I remember having a
>long
>conversation with you about tires when you showed up in that beautiful N/T
>Eclipse show car at the 98 Harrisburg Pro - on street tires. You couldn't wait
>to go out and get R tires.

Eeeks!  I've been exposed!!!  ;-)

Ahh yes, that green year---(still green this year, just not as dark green
as before).

In 98 at the HBG PRO, I was the sole competitor on Street Tires in a pre-T
(no R tires) year.  I finished up in the bottom of CSP, but not the overall
slowest car of the weekend, thank gawd!!
My point is that I did as well as I could with what knowledge and equipment
I had---AND---I didn't feel like I should have a separate class or index
because I came on Street Tires.

Most of the Import (aka Riceboy) guys I know around here no longer possess
their street wheels, therefore, no convenient inexpensive second set of
wheels for R tires.

Scott,

I'm not glorifying the move "up" to R tires, or patronizing those who
choose to run street rubber.  In fact, I  see moving to an "open" class
from the novice ranks as the step up, regardless of what shoes your car
wears.  What I am saying is:  In open classes, you are allowed to run an R
tire.  If you don't that is your choice.  But, if you choose not to use
everything the rules allow, you get a special class?

WARNING! MORE OPINIONS AND IDEAS BELOW!

This Street Tire rambling makes me contemplate the whole Street Touring
thing.....I think the SCCA create the ST classes to help attract new
membership from the ranks of the rice rocket crowd.
Instead, we have Vince Bly and Mark Allen, both accomplished National Level
competitors from other R tire classes running away with the show.

Again, these are my opinions, and now I'm up to ten cents worth.  Maybe I
need to get out and see what goes on in some other regions, because my
opinions are based on what I know from here in Susquehanna.  However, we
regularly have 100+ entries in our regular regional events, and we don't
seem to have any requests for a Street Tire class.  Therefore, I don't
really see where you guys are coming from, simply because I don't know what
goes on in your regions.

Eric Moon
'92 Miata SOLO II  CSP
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com