RE: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire R

To: "'Scott Meyers'" <solo2@uswest.net>, Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Subject: RE: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire R
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:44:58 -0400
Just wondering, why do you need for a "novice" class? Is it to make sure
that slow drivers get trophies too? Having recently entered the sport, I
have direct novice experience. My region does not have a separate novice
class but when I went to other regions that did I entered open class. I
would rather come in last vs the best then first vs the "new guys" Wouldn't
you?

Just my opinion,
Alan Pozner

On Friday, August 27, 1999 11:34 AM, Scott Meyers [SMTP:solo2@uswest.net]
wrote:
> Eric Moon wrote:
>
> > > One idea we are exploring is to develop a Street Tire factor
> > >so that
> > >those cars can run competitively with cars on "R" tires in the regular
SCCA
> > >Open
> > >classes. Or, the answer for us may be in restructuring somehow a blend
of
> > >Street
> > >Tire and Street Touring, since many are in fact the same people.
> >
> > Heres that old Street Tire thing again......
> >
> > I never understood why there is a perceived "need" to create a special
> > class for those running on Street Tires---Especially when so many
regions
> > run a "Novice" class.
>
> After four events we reclass any previous Novice into another class. Some
> regions wait until the "Novice" scores a trophy - for some this would be a
long
> wait...  :-)      Other regions wait eight events before moving Novices.
This
> works for us, and we have reasons based upon real experiences for doing it
this
> way.
>
> A need for Sreet Tire classes? Did you notice that they make up about 1/4
of
> our entries? And many of those who run there are VERY serious about their
> competition. They run there by choice, and prefer to stay in that class.
They