Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire Rambling

To: "Alan Pozner" <AlanP@identicard.com>
Subject: Re: Find a Balance Between #classes and #cars.....(Street Tire Ramblings)
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:53:34 -0400
Right on, Alan.  My first Pro Solo (in 88 or 89?) was in a 1970
Trans Am on vintage tires.  I came in last in a class of about
15 drivers including overdogs like Kozlak, Daddio, Altenburg,
etc who were running FS at the time.  It was a great experience
and I enjoyed every minute of it.   Why do we need to set up
*artificial* designations to keep people interested?

Kent Rafferty

> Just wondering, why do you need for a "novice" class? Is it to make sure
> that slow drivers get trophies too? Having recently entered the sport, I
> have direct novice experience. My region does not have a separate novice
> class but when I went to other regions that did I entered open class. I
> would rather come in last vs the best then first vs the "new guys"
Wouldn't
> you?
>
> Just my opinion,
> Alan Pozner
>
> On Friday, August 27, 1999 11:34 AM, Scott Meyers [SMTP:solo2@uswest.net]
> wrote:

> SCCA
> of
> > >
> > > Heres that old Street Tire thing again......
> > >
> > > I never understood why there is a perceived "need" to create a special
> > > class for those running on Street Tires---Especially when so many
> regions
> > > run a "Novice" class.
> >
> > After four events we reclass any previous Novice into another class.
Some
> > regions wait until the "Novice" scores a trophy - for some this would be
> long
> > wait...  :-)      Other regions wait eight events before moving Novices.
> This
> > works for us, and we have reasons based upon real experiences for doing
it
> this
> > way.
> >
> > A need for Sreet Tire classes? Did you notice that they make up about
1/4
> of
> > our entries? And many of those who run there are VERY serious about
their
> > competition. They run there by choice, and prefer to stay in that class.
> They
> > attend event after event after event. They do not aspire to the glorious
> "R"
> > classes. Some do move on (note I did not say "up").
> >
> > We are very very happy to have them attend.
> >
> > "Old Street Tire Thing" again? Just because something has been discussed
> before
> > does not preclude new information or needs from making it a viable topic
> again.
> > Solo 2 is a changing environment, and I doubt that there are many
Regions