Re: 15 entries in Street Touring for Nationals...we need 5 more!

To: "Loren Williams" <Loren@kscable.com>, "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 15 entries in Street Touring for Nationals...we need 5 more!
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 01:13:44 -0700
>Aside from not being able to drive at that level, tires will also be a
>factor.  Mark & Wendi are on Michelin... I presume MXXXX or whatever
>they are, which is probably "THE" tire for the class.  A few others are
>on Yokohama... probably AVS's, which are still somewhat better than my
>Pirelli's, at least in some ways.  One driver on Toyos, probably their
>TA1 street tire.  And the rest on BFG's... and I can't imagine what BFG
>that might be.  Anybody got a clue?
==============================
That'd be the BFG G-Force KD (killer dry) Street tires.  They only come in
17" & larger sizes and are even more expensive than the G-Force R1 race
tires, if you can believe that.

So, so much for any sort of argument that the ST classes, at least at a
national level, are any cheaper to run than the equivalent open classes with
regards to tires.

I dunno why everyone went with the BFG's (well, yes I do.  It's called
contingency money) when they only come in 17" and larger sizes which mandate
big old heavy 17" wheels.  No way around it, 17" wheels are gonna be heavy
with lots of rotational mass very far from the center of the wheel.  If it
were me I'd have gone with the old Toyo T1 which was recently replaced with
a newer design.  Anyway it came in a 225/40-14 and 195/45-14 sizes which
when coupled with ST class legal 14x7" cheapo Diamond Racing steel wheels
(just 13 lbs) still would have cost "only" about $200/corner (about what the
BFGs cost apiece) and would offer much better final gearing than the 17"
wheel/tire combos.

But then again, I'm crazy.  ;^)

See you guys in a few weeks.  WOOHOO!!!!

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

...you Yankees are so silly
about matters of the heart
don't you know that women
are the only works of art?
Don Henley  "Driving with your eyes closed"