Re: Street Touring Tires

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Touring Tires
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:50:29 -0500

SHPNOUT@aol.com wrote:

> first post on the net.  not sure if this is how to do it or not.  please fill
> me in if wrong.

Didn't make it to the list, just to me.  You need to be sure
"autox@autox.team.net" appears in the "To" line for it to go to the
list.

> about tires,  what about the good old, potenza re71,  one of the finest tires
> ever made and really cheap for the the street.

I tried them once, but I didn't inhale. <grin>

Seriously, I've heard RE71's work really well for some cars.  They seem
to be quite soft and sticky, and would probably make a good street
tire.  For MY car (being a nose-heavy front-driver), they really sucked
when I put them on the front, worked just fine on the back.  I think it
has to do with sidewall stiffness.  At "normal" pressures (36-40 psi)
they grip pretty well, but the sidewalls flex and eat up the corners of
the tread (and didn't give sharp response).  Adding more pressure to
stiffen the sidewalls takes away the grip.  It was a lose-lose situation
so I put them on the back and got another pair of P700Z's for the front.
(The Pirellis grip well and don't roll over much at 42 psi)

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca