Re: ProSolo next year?

Subject: Re: ProSolo next year?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:25:38 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Kent Rafferty wrote:
> I would agree that the P classes left something to be
> desired.  Although considered the featured classes,
> nobody at the event cared except the P drivers.  I
> remember running in the Peru Pro Sat. afternoon and
> the place was deserted except for those of us actually
> running.  Few National class participants stayed even
> to watch.

I can't remember if that was one I bailed on or not...

In most forms of racing I've seen though, participants tend to make lousy
spectators.  I know that I certainly bailed during the Pro Challenges (and
sometimes the Challenges all together, since I seem to suck at this whole
driving thing :-) so that I could get on the road back to home sooner.

I think the problem you were seeing was that the event participants were
also the only folks spectating.  I.e., promotion and outside audience draw
was 'nil.  Unless theres some evidence that'll change, it does seem kinda
silly to keep the Pro classes around unless the participants want 'em.

Myself, I could go either way on the opinion pole, but would probably lean
towards eliminating them to further bigger classes with less event
overhead.  All providing spectators couldn't be generated.

Is super-definately really a lot want the format to stay around though.  I
like the ProSolo format a ton more than regular autox (which isn't to say
regular solo2 is bad of course).

Mark