Why index classes? - Let's index cars!

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why index classes? - Let's index cars!
From: "Steven Volpp" <volpp@netdoor.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:58:02 -0500
I have the day off, and I can do is think Topeka.   Team.net is slow and Mr.
Sipe (my usual form of entertainment) must be on vacation so I thought I
would start something........

I have been on Team.net for a little over a year.  During that time, it
seems that car classing and index "fairness" debates have been the main
topic.

I understand why there are classes, and the classing concept should remain.
My question is, when it comes to indexing, why don't we index cars, instead
of classes?  Instead of worrying about the AS index for a car the might be
in GS next year, let's develop an index formula based on weight, hp, wheel
base, track, drive wheels, etc?

Then all you do is put your car through the spread sheet, and your index
would be created.

I know the rebuttal for this concept will be that "there is no fair way to
create the index."  I realize it way take some time to refine, but how fair
is the current index system if you have an E30 M3, or a host of other cars?

Awaiting the "this is the stupidest idea ever" response.....

Steven Volpp
Meridian, MS