Re: Impound Legalities at Natioanls?

To: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Impound Legalities at Natioanls?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:08:42 -0500
Nope, it could happen in stock too ... but don't worry so much.

Generally (IMHO) you could if necessary delay any teardown until after your
competition is over. The risk there is that if something is illegal you've
lost ALL your runs instead of just one day if they ask it on the first day
... but you're legal as hell so that is really no risk, right? Bigger risk
is that, making such a request, they'd probably want to impound the car
overnight so you don't fix that nasty illegal stuff. You could be out of a
ride back to the hotel.

As a more practical matter, with 900+ of your closest friends on site, you
can count on plenty of help doing things like making those pesky gaskets
seal properly. A simple "I don't know how to do this" will probably elicit
more help than you can use. Maybe even spare parts and tools as needed. (You
should see this tape I have of me buckling into my car to get ready to run
while two competitors are at the same time madly reassembling things on my
engine!) Probably the most important thing to have on site is the
documentation for your car. And no, you don't have to have it in your hand
at impound ... they'll let you go get it if needed.

If you are legal, to the best of your knowledge, don't fret over this
possibility (more likely to miss you than hit you). Come have fun, and even
if some inspection happens, consider it part of the fun, a chance to yak
with your competitors about your cars.

--Rocky Entriken