Re: Leasing an autocross car

To: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leasing an autocross car
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:21:42 -0500
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>

>Has anyone had any experience leasing their car for stock class
competition?

>The attraction is great, new competetive car every 2 or 3 years, minimal
>regular maintainance on worn out parts, low monthly payments (yeah I know
>about equity), etc. etc.
>
>My concerns are whether there are specific exclusions in the lease
contracts
>or whether there are return penalties other than for obvious wear/damage.

The problem I had running a netter's leased Honda was the seat belt was
useless.  One hole in the floor was all I needed, but the lessee figured the
lessor would have a corporate heart attack at return time.  So we spent the
summer using 80% of our energy staying in the driver seat.  Still it was
great fun, and trouble-free autocrossing.  All I ever did was change tires
twice a weekend.