Re: Leasing an autocross car

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leasing an autocross car
From: MBStevens1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:45:18 EDT
I got into autocrossing while I was leasing my Altima SE and I asked both the
dealer and the local autox club if they knew of any problems with that.  Both
said no, with the dealer cautioning me against excessive wear and tear and also
about not modifying the car at all.

I put on a new (better) set of BFG street tires a few months before I gave it
back but that was it.  Nissan didn't even bill me for the "excessive" door
dings, paint scratches, or chipped windshield, presumably because I was way
under on mileage (24K of a 48K allowance).  I didn't buy it only because I knew
how badly I had ragged on it for the 3 years I had it -- but that's yet another
reason why I lease my cars.

I don't know about returning leases to anyone but Nissan, but they only examine
the car electrically and cosmetically -- no mechanical inspection whatsoever
other than making sure it still starts and runs!

Mike Stevens
Former ES Altima SE