Re: Rookie of The Year Award

To: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Subject: Re: Rookie of The Year Award
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:57:22 -0700

Jeff Blankenship wrote:

> Which "Rookie of the Year" award are you talking about?  If this is Pro-Solo's
> ROY, then I'd like to know what the hero who won did to top that.

This is the PS Rookie of the year award. It is determined by who
qualifies the highest for the challenge. Since Tom was bumped to SS,
that was a difficult task. Since the winner stayed in BS, he had a bit
of an easier time of it. Them is the rules I guess.

Winner was Steve Tzech (sp?) who finished 3rd in BS. I would like to not
take anything away from Steve, who deserved the award based on the
rules. It is just that in this case, Tom had an incredible rookie season
and deserves some recognition for it. Perhaps he will get it at
Nationals.

> If its the Solo (Pro + Solo II) award, then we haven't heard the whole story,
> though it would take an impressive series of Solo II National Tour wins to
> surpass Tom's achievment.

Consider that Tom is still making rookie mistakes too. 8-) He let his
camber go positive at the San Diego Tour, or there is no doubt he would
have dominated that event on Sunday as he did on Saturday. He took fully
treaded Kumhos to the Finale also.

> So, let's hear what the winner did.  I expect the winner is deserving, and if
> so, it was a major feat deserving of no less respect and congratulations
> than Tom Harrington's dream season.

The good news is that there are many people who do recognize that Tom
deserves kudos.

Randy Chase