Re: An ill wind

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: An ill wind
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:09:08 -0400 (EDT)
 At first I thought you were referring to the ill wind that resulted
 in the BS Ladies having a 4 second advantage over the BS open class
 by virtue of running first on Tuesday.  Pity the poor AS drivers
 who started early but hit a cone on the first run.....

Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Boy, I hope that Nationals competitors from the southeast coastal areas
> have a home to go to when it is time to go home.  I know that DSP/DSPL
> entrants JK Jackson and Chris Moore are from that area.

 From Utah, I'll bet that Atlanta looks like it is on the coast.  ;-)

 Tallahassee -- home of the world's most beautiful TR-6 -- is 200 miles
 west of Jacksonville and about 20-30 miles north (and 100 to 200 feet
 higher) than the gulf coast.  We can see the high-level outflow clouds
 from Floyd, but that is all.  The biggest effect has been on traffic,
 with every motel room booked, several thousand in shelters, and many
 sleeping in rest areas and big parking lots.

 If Gert causes a repeat of the evacuation a week from now, those of
 you driving through this general area should be sure you have room
 reservations and have "less traveled" roads in mind.  The I-10 / I-75
 interchange was reportedly a nightmare and there have been lodging
 impacts as far away as Pensacola and Atlanta.  Pass that word on to
 SEDiv folks out there in Kansas.

> I myself might
> find it difficult to concentrate on driving if there were a major hurricane
> pointed at my house!

 (I remember well when we were in Colorado on vacation when a big
  hurricane went up through Alabama.  Well west of us, but we were
  watching the Weather Channel a lot while knowing there was nothing
  we could do.  As it was, we had to re-plan our drive home to avoid
  regions where there was no power to pump gas.)

 Floyd was a much bigger threat to the folks from the Florida region
 living around Daytona and Ft. Lauderdale, but since the storm went
 50 miles east of the center of the forecast track (putting it 100
 miles off shore), they only got tropical storm force winds (45+ mph).
 Our local radar shows the rain bands stayed mostly east of Ocala.
 They may still have to worry about Gert.

 The real threat is to our friends in the Buccaneer region (a fair
 fraction of the Jacksonville '3 beaches' area appears to have driven
 I-10 to Tallahassee yesterday, reportedly taking 9 hours to make that
 200 mile drive) and in the Carolinas.  IMO the real threat to life will
 be from flash floods in Virginia if it makes it to the Appalachians
 before colliding with the cold front.  We wish them well and our
 utility crews are on standby to help folks who helped us when Kate
 hit Tallahassee about 15 years ago.