Re: An ill wind

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>, Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: An ill wind
From: "A.J. Rystad" <ajrystad@2xtreme.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:42:21 -0700
At 08:02 AM 9/15/99 -0700, Randy Chase wrote:

>Jim Carr wrote:
>>
>>  At first I thought you were referring to the ill wind that resulted
>>  in the BS Ladies having a 4 second advantage over the BS open class
>>  by virtue of running first on Tuesday.  Pity the poor AS drivers
>>  who started early but hit a cone on the first run.....
>
>Or worse. If one hits a cone on their first run with threatening clouds,
>that is just racing. One should know that the first run my have to
>count. What is worse, is what happened to Tom Harrington yesterday. Tom
>was gridded with a relatively low number in AS. He knew his first run
>might have to count. As he attacked he course, he came onto a down cone.
>He stopped, went back to grid. By the time he could take his re-run, the
>skies had opened up.
>
>It turns out that only the first people in grid in AS got in dry runs,
>so the times there are bit skewed.
>
>It must be very frustrating to spend all this time and money to be at
>Topeka, to think you really have a shot at winning, specially as a
>rookie, then to have it all gone because of some course worker's
>inattention. I know it's all part of racing and stuff happens...but that
>bites.

Which is why when I worked T&S at the 25th Nats ('97), I always reminded
the course workers to look for downed cones and to look behind the car, not
at it as it screams by. I understand that the excitement of Nationals can
be distracting, but working the course is a vital job, as are all the
positions that go into making an event work. Not paying attention can cost
someone the plaque and jacket.

Now, had I been there, I would either have been the 12th car (1 car away
from Matt Murray, like last year (Hi Matt) or taken Tom's place as the 21st
car out.  Heck, I could be in the trophies... at least for 1 day.

A.J. "it's 2:45 Topeka time, AS ran 3rd, who won?!?" Rystad
1992 MR2T AS