RE: ST the "concept"

To: "'Judy Becker'" <judyb@cts.com>, GARY MCDANIEL <garymac@usa.net>,
Subject: RE: ST the "concept"
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:16:40 -0400
<major snippage>
> Currently, there is no place in the ST prep arena for the cars.It seems to
> me if your trying to attract a different segment of drivers then don't
> narrow or limit vehicle eligibility.
<major snippage>

Please allow me to rant for a few minutes. :-}}}

Here's the argument in a nutshell.

"We want to attract new folks. But if new folks don't have a place to
compete they won't stay around. Let's take an existing class ( call it class
X ) and widen its scope so that new folks have a place to play. Please
include Car Y in Class X"

That's great. We do that and then six months later we get this argument:

"Class X has too many non-competitive cars. My car used to be competitive
until they put Car Y in it now we need a new class for my car"

Ad nauseum.

Here's the fallacy of the argument:

New folks are not going to be competitive in any class. The best, most
experienced drivers will seek every competitive advantage. Which includes
getting the best car. No matter what class structure you create the new
folks still won't stand a chance. If winning right away was the main
attraction of this sport none of us would be here now. I don't believe that
winning is what keeps new folks in the sport.

Also often times those arguing for the rights of new folks are really trying
to get their car competitive. Witness DG's assault on the STU rulebook.
Anyone with a vested self-interest in the outcome of the proposed change has
suspect motives.( Please don't take this personally Judy as I have no idea
about your situation ;-) )

Thanks for letting me rant,
Alan ( actually I would love it if 2 seaters were in ST as my delSol might
be competitive then ) Pozner