Re: Nopi Nationals

To: gruven@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Nopi Nationals
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:54:02 -0400
Sorry for the form letter, I hope this answers all your questions. The
weather is supposed to be GREAT. Even the hurricane refugees should be
out of here tomorrow.

We have a preliminary schedule for the NOPI Nationals Auto-X Tournament.
The reason I say *preliminary* is because lots of stuff can happen when
you have 20,000 plus folks converging on Atlanta Motor Speedway.

It is important to follow these directions when coming to the track. The
main entrance is *supposed* to be reserved for SCCA competitors. The
other show entrants are *supposed* to get to registration on the airport
road. DO NOT try to enter the event on the airport road as there will be
a huge line of cars clogging that road to get to their registration (We
will be registering SCCA folks at our site).

Get there early to beat the traffic both days! Also, be as compact as
possible in your pit area as we will be a little cramped (we want to have
as much room for course as possible, after all). Folks with big rigs plan
on parking around the perimeter of the pit area.

We can be on the site at 7 a.m. and we can start running cars at 9 a.m.
If we have 100 of you show up on Saturday, we'll start running practice
runs as early as possible. Once we get 30 of you we will split you into
two groups (one to work, the other run then switch) and start practice
runs. We promise *at least* 2 practice runs. However, depending on how
many drivers show up there will probably be more like 4-6 practice runs.

So, the schedule looks something like this:

Saturday, September 18th

7:30    Registration and Tech opens
9:00    Practice sessions begin
12:00   Lunch break
1:00    Practice sessions resume
5:00    Practice sessions end

Sunday, September 19th

7:30    Registration and Tech opens
9:00    Group 1 begins competition
12:00   Lunch break
12:30   Competition sessions resume
4:30    Competition sessions end
5:00    Awards presentation inside the track

The Run/Work order on Sunday (see supps for classes in each group. NOTE:
depending on actual participation your class may end up in a different
group)

        Runs                    Works
        1                       3
        2                       4
        3                       5
        4                       1
        5                       2

Here are the supps again:

NOPI National AUTO-X Tournament I

 What is an Auto-X Tournament?

An Auto-X Tournament differs from a standard autocross (Solo II) in that
cars compete against one another in head-to-head matches rather than
against the clock. The two cars in a match start halfway around the
course from each other and compete through the whole course to see who
gets back to his/her own finish line first. Both finish lines are aligned
to clearly show who wins.

Tournament Brackets

The event is a double-elimination tournament. All competitors will be
grouped into one of 5 brackets. Each competitor will remain in the
tournament until he/she loses two matches.

Brackets

NOPI pays a purse for each of 5 brackets. We will be setting up those
brackets based on the actual entries to the event. Below find the
preliminary brackets (Subject to change based on actual entries):

1. DS, GS, HS, ES, ST
2. STU, DSP, STR, BS, CS
3. BSP, SS, ESP, AS, FS
4. AP, BP, EP, Fjr., DP, CP, ASP, CSP
5. AM, BM, F125, CM, EM, FM, DM

Competitive Handicapping

We are using a distance handicapping system based on the RTP (Racer's
Theoretical Performance) Index. A car from a faster indexed class will
start a calculated distance (plotted on a spreadsheet) back from the
start line to help to equalize competition.

Prize Money

NOPI pays prize money in each of the 5 brackets:
· First place $350 and a set of  4 Toyo tires. $500 bonus if you win on
Toyos.
· Second place $150 plus products

TheNOPI National Champion (Overall) will receive a set of KONIG
"Caffeine" racing wheels.

Practice

Saturday will be a practice day. Everyone will get at least two practice
laps, one from each start lane. Cars will be run two at a time during
practice just like in the tournament. Each Bracket will get at least a
One-Hour practice session.

Auto-X Tournament Rules

Working - Each competitor will be given a work assignment and are
required to work to compete.

Entries per car - There will be a maximum of 2 entries per car.

Entries per driver - Each driver may enter the Auto-X  Tournament only
once.

Order of running - The brackets will run in numerical order. Each bracket
will complete its entire competition and determine the winner for that
bracket before the next bracket runs.

NOPI National Champion Bracket - 8 Competitors. The winners of the 5
brackets will automatically qualify for the final bracket to determine
the NOPI National Champion for the event. The 5 runners-up will have a
drawing. The winner of the drawing will automatically be in the final
bracket. The other 4 runners-up will have a single elimination bracket to
determine the last two slots. Depending on time available, the final
bracket will be either double or single elimination.

Pairings and Lane Choice - Each match and lane assignment will be
established by event officials. When your bracket is competing, drivers
shall stay with their cars, in grid, and be ready to be called to the
start at any time.

The Start - After both cars are lined up at their start lines, the
starter will point to each competitor. Nod big or wave if you are ready.
When the start light goes on, start your run.

The WINNER - will be the first car back to its own finish line. Three
judges must agree, without consultation, which car arrives back first
(except in the case of DNFs or cones hit). If the match is too close to
call the match will be rerun from opposite lanes.

Cones - If any cones are hit during a match the competitor that hits the
fewest cones wins.

DNFs - DNFs lose. If both drivers DNF in a match, the worst DNF loses. If
both DNF's are equal the match will be rerun.

5 Ways to DNF - (Listed in order of importance)
1. Passing the other car is a DNF, unless a course worker waves you on.
2. Not Running Missing a match is a DNF for that match (except for Byes).
3. Not Finishing failing to finish your run.
4. Jumping the Start The Starter and Judges will determine if you start
before the start light goes on.
5. Going Off Course or missing part of the course.

Byes - There may be times you have no opponent for a match. You may run
or not and still advance. It is your choice. But you must tell the grid
official(s) what you want to do.

Co-Drivers in same match - If co-drivers are matched to run against each
other a timer will be used to determine the winner. Co-drivers will be
bracketed to limit such matches.

Protests - Protests will be handled according to the 1999 SCCA Solo rules
except that the protest fees are doubled.
Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA
Phone 770.474.1402