Re: Nopi Nationals

To: "Alex Muresan" <alex_inc@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nopi Nationals
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:08:56 -0700
I think that it’s great running
>head to head against another competitor.  The course also seemed a lot
>longer than a typical prosolo course.  I would like to see more events
being
>run in this head to head format.  I think that 95% of the competitors
>thoroughly enjoyed this year's Nopi Nationals, but I guess not everybody
>values the "fun factor" as their top priority in running a solo II event
========================
So, You liked the head-to-head (sorta) racing huh?

I too instantly fell in love with the original event, the MirrorKhana, when
I participated in it for the first time earlier this year in Salina Kansas.

There's just something about having another guy on the course at the same
time as you that really makes you work and drive harder for the win.  And
truth be told, the MOST fun, in my opinion, is when you tie the other guy
and have to swich sides and do it over again.  Man, talk about pressure.

I had this happen at Wichita's version, called the Whichi Khana, earlier
this year and on the re-run I thought to myself, "okay. I'll brake a little
deeper there and turn in a little sooner there".  Well, it almost worked.
;^)  But that's part of what makes this particular type of event so much
fun.

It sounds almost too simple to be fun.  No clocks.  No fancy finish lights.
Just two cars and a couple of real live judges at the finish lines to call
out the winner.  Nothing gets the crowd, and the drivers, going and cheering
more than to see the judges call the finish differently and cause a re-run.

Sorry for the ramble but I have to thank Rocky Entriken again for coming up
with the original idea when I next see him.  BTW, as long as Rocky keeps
holding the event I will attend.  And another cool thing about Rocky's
MirrorKhana is that the course never changes from year to year.  I lost
count of the stories that I overheard about past years competitions but
could easily envision what they were talking about since the very same
course was being run again this year.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

...you Yankees are so silly
about matters of the heart
don't you know that women
are the only works of art?
Don Henley  "Driving with your eyes closed"