Re: NOPI Weather?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NOPI Weather?
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:41:23 -0400 (EDT)
Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com> writes:
}
} I'm taking the liberty to copy this note to some email lists.
}
} Bob Monday  writes:
} > Should we plan on lots of rain (and Floridians) at NOPI Nationals
} > this weekend?

 Heh heh.  Preliminary indications from here are that tourist visits
 were up by factors varying from 3 to 10 from normal midweek levels
 yesterday, but most everyone is heading home today unless there is
 no power where they live.  Should be similar for people who evacuated
 to Atlanta from coastal Georgia and N Florida.  Motels as far away
 as Montgomery Ala were full, but that should change quickly.

} The weather forcast is for sunny and high about 80 degrees for the whole
} weekend. Atlanta is a long ways from the coast (about 200 miles) and over
} 1000 feet above sea level.
}
} We haven't even had any clouds out of this storm system.

 Ditto, and we are a similar distance from the storm track.  To
 the contrary, it has been drier than normal (low dewpoint, as
 the storm scavanged the moisture from around it and pulled cool
 dry air down from the upper midwest) and this morning was just
 the second cool one since May (about 60 F).

 Long range forecast looks really good for the weekend (80/60).
 Bring really good sunscreen and a hat.

} The hurricane is projected to be off the coast of New England by Friday,
} anyway.

 I would advise thinking more than twice about driving down I-95
 and then heading inland.  Heading inland and then north/south will
 be better.  Since there are reports that there is no gas at any
 station on I-10 between here and J'ville, folks driving up from
 S Florida might be advised to be prudent, although that should be
 resolved by the weekend.

 -- Jim from Tallahassee (BS '93 Miata)