Re: GS and self full filling prophecy

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GS and self full filling prophecy
From: Mike Mitchell <mitchell@tdi.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:58:39 -0400
Tim makes some good points.  The Prelude running so strong does take
some wind out of the sails of those who want to argue that the 'R' is
top dog so everyone else stay home.  Also I notice now that there is
another Prelude 1.03 seconds back of Endicott.  Wonder if the Prelude
drivers feel they could go faster in type 'R's?

    But not sure that GS would be down because of the hype of the 'R'.
I think others have said that GS is a faster class this year, and that
may have kept some home.

    On the other hand there is a nice selection of GS cars in
Topeka...my quick count (this list counts drivers, not cars) finds:
    R's 8
    DSM 8
    F body,  Impreza  with 5
    Probe, SVT, Prelude 3
    528  1

    And I am not sure I agree with the idea that drivers stay away
because they feel they can't win it all.  To be the best you have to
compete against the best.  I would think many drivers just want to know
where they stand.   Being in the hunt...say within 1-2 seconds over both
days...is certainly quite a performance even if you might finish 10th!