Re: Fiat 124 sport and some "stock" rules

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fiat 124 sport and some "stock" rules
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:59:13 -0500

Lonnie Heston wrote:

> I have entered into co-ownership of a 124.  It is in
> very ratty condition, but most of it is there.  I need
> a few answers on the stock classification and maybe
> some detail about the 124.  If you can help...

I hope this was a low-buck purchase...

> In stock class, does the ol' smog air pump have to be
> present and operational?

Yes, everything must be intact and at least appear to be operational.

> I have heard the term "cat. back exhaust" used in a
> way that implies the exhaust system does not have to
> be stock behind the cat. conv.  If the car did not
> come with a cat.conv. where can the non-stock stuff
> start?

That's a damn good question!  Okay, just looked it up, it says "beyond
the header/manifold or catalytic converter IF SO EQUIPPED".  So, if
there was no cat from the factory (verify that fact), you have open
exhaust from the manifold.

> Does the convertible top have to be on the vehicle
> during the runs?  Like if it's rotted away, can we
> remove the ribs?

For stock class, you can run any configuration specified by the
manufacturer for street use.  IE:  if it's a convertible, you can
obviously run with the top up or down... if it's got T-Tops, they can be
in or out... does the Fiat owner's manual give instructions for removing
the top and running without it? (I'm guessing not)

> If certain parts, say a fuel pump or battery cover,
> were not available, can an approximate substitute be
> used - say a fuel pump from a honda, or a home made
> battery cover?

If they are truly unavailable, yes.

> Did the Fiat 124 about '74 or '75 come with fiberglass
> front fenders?  (this one has them).

Idunno.

> Any comments/knowledge will be appreciated!!

Contact Bruce Bettinger (you know him, right? <grin>) or one of the
other folks involved in racing during that time, they probably know
quite a bit about them.

My guess would be that it's going to be VERY difficult to run the car in
stock.  Street prepared may be the way to go.  If no one is daily
driving it, Prepared might be an even better way to go.  Strip it down
and have fun with it!

If you do want to run it stock for a while, you could probably get away
with it locally, just leave as much of the original equipment intact as
possible (including the ratty top).  It should be an HS car, I wouldn't
expect it to be too competitive.  Whoa!  The book says the 124 Spyder is
in C Stock!  Look out.

You might want to post your question to the Wichita Region list.  Bobb
Harris might pipe up with some info, he's well versed in such things.
(and he'd be your competition in CSP with his Alfa)

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca