AP for 2000, was: AP as viewed from fourth place

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>, "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: AP for 2000, was: AP as viewed from fourth place
From: "Tom Holt" <tholt@ccsi.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 08:26:37 -0500
Thanks George,
    If the SEB gets it's way, you WILL have FP back next year.  At the
sparsely attended Tuesday town hall meeting (sparse because the meeting
began at 4:30 like advertised but during the middle of 5th heat), the SEB
and PAC (in the form of Jim McKamey) unveiled their plan for AP/FP. All of
this will be published in Fasttrack either next month or the following
month, so disregard my version as the beer soaked memories of someone having
too much fun in Topeka.
    As I remember it, FP ccomes back in it's pre-95(94?) version. AP becomes
it's pre 95 self again with the addition of some Cobra kit cars (with Ford
engines) many of the post 93 turbo cars (or whenever SCCA quit classifying
turbo cars in Prepared) and it becomes a catchall for the cars that want to
go beyond the current prepared rules but short of DM & EM . The listings
would be something along the lines of vehicles <5.1 liters must weigh 2000
or 2050 with 12" wheels. Vehicles over 5.1 liters must weigh (I forgot)
2500? with a 50# hit for 12" wheels.  The class would also allow free fuel
injection.  The "old" AP cars would carry their current weights into the
class and be adjusted as necessary to make them competitive.
    So, for example, one of the target customers of this class would be
Barry Schonberg. He didn't show up this year reportedly because he was
running at Road Atlanta next month and didn't want to have to completely
reconfigure his car. He must currently weigh about 2700#, if he ran AP2K (I
just made that up... catchy huh?) he could drop 700 lbs and add 50 if he
wanted to run 12s and then be at about his GT2 weight for roadracing and
still be Solo legal
    I could install a full Motec FI setup on my Datsun  and put on 12"
wheels and drop 50 lbs  to 2050 for AP or leave everything alone and run FP
at 2100.
    Again this is as I remember things and I'm sure I am leaving BIG chunks
out. The SEB hopes to get this implemented for next year but it will be
tough if it meets with any resistance.
    If anybody else can help clarify this please do...

Tom