Torque VS Horsepower

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Torque VS Horsepower
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:43:21 -0700
It seems that many of the newer Japanese cars are leaning towards high
rpm and horsepower at the expense of torque (new Celica, Type R, etc.).
When torque does finally kick in, it is around 6000 rpm.

I am wondering if, as far as autocrossing is concerned, this is not the
ideal situation. I have watched the Type R's run some courses in first
gear (wince). There were moments when the Acura drivers had to go for
second briefly, but then back to first. Looked like a lot of work, and tricky.

My wife had a 94 Integra GSL (140 hp) when I had a 96 Neon ACR. Once the
Acura got going it felt great, but the Neon had more "punch"
(off-throttle response, especially at low revs). Might this have
something to do with the relative (DS vs GS) Nationals results?

Seems like this condition would lend itself to some cars success in
autocrossing being very course-dependant.

Just wondering.

Scott Meyers