RE: Paul Krucke's VW

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Paul Krucke's VW
From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:39:48 -0500
        ... Everything felt good, I was looking ahead to my setup point
> for the
> "Eve Turn" when with NO WARNING and a snap the car went
> over.  At no
> time was I or the car 'out-of-shape'.  My only conclusion,
> based on
> conversations with workers in that area from previous heats,
> coupled
> with the fact that it was the last run group on the last day
> (read as--
> deteriorating surface conditions), I hit a bad spot of
> concrete, or
> dislodged rock/concrete which hooked a tire THROWING the car
> over.   It
> also did not help that that section was slightly off camber
> with the
> drivers side down.  There was NO mechanical failure as
> previously
> thought, the damage to the right side strut area was from
> the impact,
> the spring pearch is perfectly intact.

        [Moore, John]  I had worked that area in the previous heat and it
was starting to break up and had some bumpy patched areas as well. I also
happened to be watching as the car flipped since I have a soft spot in my
heart (or hole in my head) for VW's. It sure did look to me as a spectator
that the drivers rear tire caught on something and basically "vaulted" the
car into the air. Pauls line looked to be close to the same as the line he
had taken the previous run and I was really surprised to see the car flip. I
was just happy to see that there where no injuries.

        John Moore
        1993 Toyota MR2 NA #55 CS