Re: Car numbers at Nationals

To: "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Car numbers at Nationals
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:40:33 -0500
>Yes.  Frequently, the question is, "What's the next car to finish?"
>And the easiest way to answer the question SHOULD be to look up at the
>course and see what car is about to finish.
>
>Frequently, a car hits a cone, and by the time it's reset, the person
>with the clipboard needs to look up and confirm what car just hit it.
>By now, the car is on the other side of the course.  If the numbers are
>readable from far away, this is an awful lot easier.

Points taken.

>It's no harder to have numbers readable from far away than it is to
>have unreadable numbers.  So why not make them readable?  What possible
>reason is there to do anything but the best possible thing?

Making do with what's available?  I have 100 square feet of white mag
sheet...so it IS harder to have different color numbers.  Of course, I
feel that mine are readable.

>No, it's not diplomatic, but I won't apologize.  The rulebook clearly
>says that the numbers should be in a color that contrasts with the
>background.  White and silver don't contrast.

I suppose it depends on how you define contrast, then.  Or maybe it's
that my silver car is more of a dingy, not-well-kept-grayish kind of
silver that makes the white show up better.   You just can't make
blanket statements like this as I feel that my car has very good
contrast, as I feel that the Leverone numbers are contrasting (although
the red could stand to be of a brighter hue).

I don't think I'll be running at nationals any time soon...so I guess it's
moot.

David Hawkins