Numbers at Nationals

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Numbers at Nationals
From: "The Christianson's" <chrstson@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:38:58 -0500

They Said...

> I guess I take exception most to the 'get a clue' aspect of the post.
> I've never had a complaint about my numbers, and to have someone
> tell me to get a clue (which is essentially what was just done since I
> run the same combination) is not the most diplomatic way to handle
> something like this.

No, it's not diplomatic, but I won't apologize.  The rulebook clearly
says that the numbers should be in a color that contrasts with the
background.  White and silver don't contrast.

Mark

Mark...get over it.  very few are really a problem.  The #3 car in DM had
white numbers on a black car.  Yea it was a funky 3 but none the less a 3.
And 7 in DM I don't recall as a problem either.  If you actually protest
someone on this at Nationals next year it had better be a bad enough case
that 49 out of 50 people could not make out the numbers.   There ought to
be better things to worry about.  I find it interesting that you found
something in the rule book that is "clear".  To what degree must the
contrast be, and according to who?  Does it have to contrast to someone who
is color blind?

Let's just have fun and not get our shorts in such a wad over numbers.

Maybe each driver should be issued a moped flag with the number on it at
tech that would have to be attached to the car, then everybody would be the
same.

On another note...I have still not come down from the high of being at
Nationals for a week.  I am always impressed at how well this huge event
comes off...It is obvious that it works so well because of the volunteers.
Thanks to all who put in a huge amount of time and effort for this sport.
I help out where I can but I only do a minute fraction of what many others
do.

Jeff Christianson
#65 EM  (Bright Red numbers on White car)