Re: Noise Pollution Discretion

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Noise Pollution Discretion
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:55:29 EDT
Bruce Haden wrote:
>Since "common sense" is hard to evaluate we simply use a 93 DB(a)
>standard at 50 feet in San Diego.

Since none of netters from Oregon have chimed in, I'll add that Oregon State
Law says 90 dba at 50 ft for autocross activities.  Yes, it actually is state
law and you can check on the state's web site by searching for "autocross".
Yes, this is EXTREMELY strict compared to any other region's requirements.

Since most of Oregon Region SCCA's events are currently held at Portland
International Raceway, the de facto limit becomes 103 dba at 50 ft.  That's
state law, again, for certified race facilities, of which there are only two
in Oregon.

>The point that some of the quiet cars are the most obnoxious is also valid,
>but we can't measure sound "quality" without being subjective again, and
>too much of that was one of the things that led to the meter in the first
>place.

Exactly!  Knowledge & consistency of measurement methods is available via
SCCA's club racing, so this is a doable arrangement.

It's also important to have a national standard to aim for so that any single
region does not have an advantage.  In other words, if we're all held to the
same standard, then no single competitor is gaining performance due to lax or
nonexistent standards.  And for those who say a rotary can't make lots of
power without being noisy...  read past issues of SportsCar for references of
who has succeeded in that venue.

George "Good to have been back to Topeka again in anything" Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery