Riding with Others in NER

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Riding with Others in NER
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:15:42 -0700

Here in NER, after MUCH debate, we have put together a program that we hope
benefits the Novices who need the help the most.

Only certain drivers are allowed to ride with Novices.  They are typically
multi-year Regional Champions or past/current National Champions.  Our Solo
Chairman has final say in the approval of each driver.  Each driver is required
to wear a special sticker on his/her helmet in order to be picked out of a
crowd.

We in NER feel that the benefit received by a top caliber driver by riding with
a Novice is neglegable.  (See thread about the Daddio factor)  What is Nick
Leverone going to learn from a first year driver about the line, breaking zones
or speed in certain sections?  We have decided that those drivers are winning
their classes by wide margins anyway so the benefits to Novices FAR outweigh the
(what we consider to be non-existent) benefits to the 'rider'.

We do however feel that if a competitor has an issue with someone 'instructing'
in his/her class, worried about the perceived disadvantage, we would make sure
that instructor didn't instruct until their first run was in the books.  Some
instructors also choose not to ride until they have driven the course, just in
the name of the rules.

Now if a Novice wants to ride with an instructor, they may, but only after their
first runs are in the books as per the rules.

Our Solo Chair has basically had a vision for the NER.  That vision was to:

Put on the best possible event for as many competitors show up (over 200).
Assist in the best possible ways in the development of Novices as drivers,
workers and members.
Assist in the best possible ways in bringing mid-level drivers to the next
level.
Assist in the best possible way in helping National caliber drivers in homing
their skills.

1999 was an awesome year in the NER.

AB
Andy Bettencourt