Re: Riding with Others in NER

To: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Subject: Re: Riding with Others in NER
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:12:24 -0700
Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com wrote:

> Here in NER, after MUCH debate, we have put together a program that we hope
> benefits the Novices who need the help the most.
>
> Only certain drivers are allowed to ride with Novices.  They are typically
> multi-year Regional Champions or past/current National Champions.  Our Solo
> Chairman has final say in the approval of each driver.  Each driver is
>required
> to wear a special sticker on his/her helmet in order to be picked out of a
> crowd.

        Here in Colorado, our Novice program runs a little differently. Novices
(meaning anyone who has not been autoxing for greater than one year) may
ride with anyone, at anytime. This allows novice drivers to get as much
instruction as they can, make it more enjoyable for them, and just
basically make it appealing for them to learn more and come back.
Novices run with their respective open classes, but are scored
separately on an indexed time. This way, they can have the opportunity
to ride with more experienced drivers in similar cars. A novice mustang
driver is not as likely to think that they are going to learn much from
riding a Neon as they are in a Camaro.

> We in NER feel that the benefit received by a top caliber driver by riding
>with
> a Novice is neglegable.  (See thread about the Daddio factor)  What is Nick
> Leverone going to learn from a first year driver about the line, breaking
>zones
> or speed in certain sections?  We have decided that those drivers are winning
> their classes by wide margins anyway so the benefits to Novices FAR outweigh
>the
> (what we consider to be non-existent) benefits to the 'rider'.

        Most of out national-champion hotshoes run an indexed class (X) anyway,
but if an up and coming driver wants to see how they're doing against a
proven competitor, they'd want the same advantage anyway. A look at
speed, is still a look at speed. Even if the lines are all wrong.

> We do however feel that if a competitor has an issue with someone
>'instructing'
> in his/her class, worried about the perceived disadvantage, we would make sure
> that instructor didn't instruct until their first run was in the books.  Some
> instructors also choose not to ride until they have driven the course, just in
> the name of the rules.

        That's perfectly fair, and gives everyone the desired flexibility.

> Now if a Novice wants to ride with an instructor, they may, but only after
>their
> first runs are in the books as per the rules.

        But then the novice driver doesn't have the opportunity to immediately
apply what they just learned. That's why we allow them to ride along at
anytime. Before, after, or during their competition runs. Granted, once
their first year is up, and they're in the open class, they've got to
play along with the rest of the rules.

> Our Solo Chair has basically had a vision for the NER.  That vision was to:
>
> Put on the best possible event for as many competitors show up (over 200).

Wow, that's admirable.

> Assist in the best possible ways in the development of Novices as drivers,
> workers and members.

Absolutely, I think attentive Novice programs are a really good way to
do that.

> Assist in the best possible ways in bringing mid-level drivers to the next
> level.
> Assist in the best possible way in helping National caliber drivers in homing
> their skills.

To be sure. Gotta bring home those trophies from Topeka right? Region
pride is a good thing. As long as it doesn't become too arrogant...

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/