Re: Weather Dude speaks

To: kennedy@i2.com, Ajstratton@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weather Dude speaks
From: Mdmtrsport@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:18:09 EDT
I have been picking up dabs on this thread, and so far, it seems that most
are missing the obvious. Weather should not be, and cannot be the driving
factor in site selection. It comes down to the simple issue of finding a site
large enough with accomodations (hotels/eateries/etc.) to handle 900 + cars
wackos for a week.

Whether the weather is an issue is really a moot point. We participate in an
outdoor activity, rain must be anticipated and dealt with. It's part of the
game, and most wet weather races (solo and road racing) I have witnessed
become a great equalizer of competition, tending to bring out some of the
best driving skills in racers with a sensitive butt and good feel in the
finger tips.

This is also the very issue as to why selecting venues for the Valvoline
Runoffs is so difficult. Very few road race tracks in this country can
accomodate the amount (close to 5,000, I have been told) of racers, media,
fans, and officials for one week.

Mike Dickerson
Cen Ky